A reinforcement of all special points of the facade is required because work-derived tensions are accumulated and transmitted to this zones and can later produce fissures in the covering.
- Lintels on openings or doors and windows.
- Shutter boxes.
- Changes in section of walls and enclosures.
- Areas near elastic or expansion joints.
- Pillar joints.
The installation of mesh is recommended in order to cover a minimum of 20cm each side of the joint. In angled holes of facades, extra strips of mesh shall be installed with a 45º slope using 20*20cm pieces.
Lintels and doorjambs: it is necessary to reinforce the lintels and doorjambs of holes in the facade with fibreglass mesh wrapping.
Doors and windows: it is necessary to observe the edges of door or window wells and discontinuities between materials for which special areas shall be reinforced with fibreglass-mesh angle beads, overlapping it over the plastering mesh. Besides, it is necessary to fit corner profile on all edges.
Eaves and copings: when the system encounters with eaves, cornices and copings, a 5mm elastic joint should be carried out to avoid movement transmission to the panels.
Corner guard fitting: corner guards must be protected using mesh-reinforced metallic profiles to provide resistance, verticality and uniformity when applying mortar. In order to bind the corner guard, the necessary amount of FoamLime Adhesivo is applied first and then the mesh is embedded into the same adhesive.
Reinforcement mesh installation
Once the first FoamLime Adhesivo layer has been applied, we shall proceed with the installation of the fibreglass mesh, from top to bottom, embedding it uniformly.
The mesh must be embedded at the centre of the thickness of the FoamLime Adhesivo mortar for it to remain shallow which could leave it uncovered during the scraped finish step.
If it were necessary, apply a second layer of FoamLime Adhesivo mortar to cover the mesh perfectly and leave it centered inside the final thickness of this phase of the system.
- In adjacent sections the mesh must be overlapped by 10cm minimum.
- In edges without corner guards it must go around a minimum of 25cm and must not be cut over the edge.
- Adjacent foils should be overlapped by a minimum of 10cm.
Objectives of the reinforcement mesh:
- Improve the integrity of the system.
- Absorb impact energy and expansion.
- Decrease the risk of fissures and their propagation.
- Increase the mechanical compression and tensile strength.
Advice for reinforcement-mesh choice:
- The size mesh must be chosen according to the granulometry of the covering or rendering.
- A mesh size of 12,5mm by 12,5mm is recommended for thick grain rendering because of its high tensile strength.
- A mesh size of 4mm by 5mm is recommended for fine grain rendering.
Covering and evening of the reinforcement mesh
This second layer of FoamLime Adhesivo over the surface with the reinforcement mesh already embedded homogenises the application and ensures the mesh is perfectly centered inside the adhesive mortar.
The application can be carried out right away after the first layer—used to bind the reinforcement mesh—has been applied without waiting for this first layer to dry.
Once this phase is finished the surface is ready to receive FoamLime Base Mortar.
Structural element installation among which we find:
- Window sills.